Police investigating Cincinnati zoo incident involving gorilla, boy

The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden made headlines this weekend after a four-year-old boy fell into the gorilla enclosure. Sine Saturday, the zoo has come under fire for its decision to kill the gorilla instead of tranquilizing him, or subduing him by other means.

Steve Taylor, Louisville Zoo’s assistant director of conservation, education and collections, was holding a news conference at the local zoo Tuesday afternoon.

“This is an animal [that] with one hand, I have seen take a coconut and crush it”, he said.

A tranquilizer, Maynard said, could have taken up to 10 minutes to take effect, and the pain from the dart would have caused more panic in the animal.

The killing of Harambe sparked a firestorm, with many lambasting the child’s parents for losing track of the child. He was released from the hospital on Saturday. “After the review, we will determine if charges need to be brought forward”.

Stones said he would take Harambe home with him when the gorilla was a baby and let him sleep on his bed, according to KRGV-TV.

Harambe was transferred to the Cincinnati Zoo in 2014. The response team shot Harambe. “The gorilla enclosure should have been surrounded by a secondary barrier between the humans and the animals to prevent exactly this type of incident”. A spokesman for Jane Goodall, the famed primatologist, said she had “a private conversation” with Maynard, who said she expressed her sympathy.

A zoo visitor captured an image of the 3-year-old’s lifeless body lying on the exhibit floor, but it’s what happened next that captured hearts.

“I think it’s a very tough call”, Trump said during a press conference.

© 2016 The Associated Press.

“No, the zoo is not negligent”, he said.

Many social media commenters have criticized the boy’s parents and said they should be held accountable.

The incident has triggered a furor online, with some saying the boy’s mother should be charged with child endangering, while others want the zoo held responsible for the gorilla’s death.

Zoo officials were not immediately available for comment on either the negligence complaint or the police investigation but said on Monday the exhibit was safe and exceeded required protocols. “Accidents happen but I am thankful that the right people were in the right place today”.

But Richard Johnstone-Scott, gorilla keeper for 46 years, said on CNN’s New Day that 17-year-old Harambe might have been trying to protect the child from the screaming onlookers.

The Western Lowland Gorilla was shot dead after dragging a child who wandered into the animal’s exhibit Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *